Others Say It Best
“Brian is a rare talent. He’s an extraordinary leader, an analytical powerhouse and a charismatic communicator. He gives his team members ownership and holds them accountable for results — while supporting them and providing smart insights to guide their work.
Brian’s growth expertise is deep, rigorous and drives results. Always open to new ideas and experimentation, he also brings excellent strategic judgement and prioritization to his work. His personal style consists of that rare combination of humility and power — bringing out the best in those around him. Any company would be lucky to count Brian among its leaders.”
– Jaleh Bisharat, former CMO at Amazon, Opentable, Eventbrite and UpWork
“Brian is an outstanding leader who consistently brings out the best in himself and all those who work with him. Brian has an innate sense to focus on opportunities that bring immediate results, and accomplishes his objectives in a positive and collaborative way that endears him to the broader team. Brian’s work ethic, intelligence, experience, intuition and leadership have made him a key player within and beyond marketing.”
– Eric Grosse, Co-Founder of Hotwire.com and former CEO of TaskRabbit
I currently work at Eventbrite as VP of Growth and GM of our self-service business/product. I have spent the last 5+ years helping to scale Eventbrite’s business to several billions of dollars in annual transactions across 180+ countries around the world.
Before Eventbrite I was Co-Head of Marketing at TaskRabbit where I helped to 3x our core business volume over my tenure, and co-authored the strategy that led to TaskRabbit’s successful pivot to a more tightly-managed marketplace. I joined TaskRabbit via acquisition of my own company SkillSlate, which I co-founded and ran product & marketing for. I started my career as a Product Manager for Yahoo!’s marketplace businesses where I was an early “growth PM” (before it was an actual title), focused on consumer product, SEO, conversion optimization, traffic acquisition, and any other growth lever we could find.
A few things that I think make my experience unique:
- I have been an operator through nearly every startup stage: from company founding (SkillSlate which was seed funded and two others that were bootstrapped), through series A, B and C (TaskRabbit), through series C, D, and E (Eventbrite – and very hopefully through IPO too!).
- I’m an entrepreneur. I have founded three businesses, including one VC-backed startup.
- I have worked on marketplace businesses for nearly 15 years.
- I was the youngest Product Manager at Yahoo!, and the youngest Vice President at Eventbrite, at the time of each promotion.
- My experience spans multiple functions: product management, marketing, cross-functional growth, and GM responsibilities (with $XXX million dollar revenue responsibility).
- I have been on “on both sides of the table” having raised VC funding and also evaluated startup investments as a VC intern at Canaan Partners during my MBA. Similarly I have participated in both sides of M&A, selling SkillSlate to TaskRabbit, and acquiring several niche internet businesses through forming my own micro-PE fund, as well as working on an international acquisition at Eventbrite.
Speaking & Press
I speak at conferences, guest lecture at Stanford GSB and Haas School of Business, participate in startup industry events, and sometimes appear in the press. You can see some examples here with videos or links to articles.
Outside of my day job, I have served as growth advisor to companies including Shyp, Earnest, Lifelock, and several others via the First Round Capital Expert Network. I typically add the most value post product-market fit as a business is starting to scale (generally around series B or C funding).
Outside of Work
I’m one of the rare San Francisco Bay Area natives, and have lived here for all but six years of my life (four years in LA and two years in NYC). I currently live in the Bay Area with my incredible family: my wife Kelly, our two children, and our yellow lab. I’m a big USC football fan, I play guitar, I am passionate about fitness, and I love good food and great red wine (Zins, Cabs, Syrahs, and red blends are my favorites).